Thursday, October 2, 2008

gym and rightful lack thereof

Why SCAD will never need to require P.E. for those that live on the 3rd and 4th floor, don't take the buses, and have classes that require heavy supplies:

3rd floor to bottom: 6 flights of 8 stairs each = 48 stairs

1 block and a half of walking distance from end of stairwell to buses (minimum of a mile-long bike ride, one-way if the bus isn't taken)

Depending on the class, upon arrival either minor walking or up a few more flights of stairs

Return journey: take all of the above x2 (repeat as needed)

Include meal time travels: if going to Cafe SCAD, take 3rd to bottom stair amount and add 3 more flights of 8 (24 stairs) doing down

(That makes a trip to Cafe SCAD worth 18 flights of 8 stairs each, which is 144 stairs... surprisingly excruciating.)

Add in carrying a book bag to classes, or an art supply box (~ 5 lbs.) and a portfolio (~ 15-20lbs)


So, added all together, in a week, I will bike 4 miles and take 2400 steps just to get to class and food combined. Occasionally throw in that 20lbs portfolio, and a few more flights of stairs (note that the extra flights come with the portfolio classes). These are only the required amounts I need to go through to make sure I get to class without taking the buses.

Moral of the story: I'm going to hate stairs for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment