Sunday, January 25, 2009

quarter two - week three

School and homework. Class for four days - and then playtime.

Sometimes it bugs me when we stay up until 3am on Friday and Saturday nights; I try to get up early (early as in noon) so I'm not completely thrown off and I still have time to do homework, but even when I wake up I'm completely uninspired to do work. Thus, Sunday became homework day: a bit of drawing, a dependably annoying one-page essay and the occasional color theory things. (Which reminds me: our recent assignment was a bit of colored paper; our proffessor told us to "love" this color, to get to know it throughout the quarter. To feel comfortable with it. I chose a vibrant but deep blue with a tint of purple - very faint, not quite royal blue and certainly not blue-violet. Enough to remind me of Mom's color and subtly different, like a reprise. I quite like it.)

I don't think I appreciate my Composition's teacher "teaching", if it can be called that; granted, I like having to only watch movies and write responses on them, but there's been no instruction yet. It's all, movie response movie response 4-page essay movie response. No discussions on what we should be writing about, how we should be writing, in what style -- absolutely nothing. We have discussions on the movies we watch and then write our responses as homework while getting into the next movie. No teaching, just interaction.

It irritates me, because I'm someone who loves to have a bit of structure with her freedom. Give me a class and I'll work with the details. Give me details and I'll work with it, but I'll be less happy. Give me a general idea, an unfirm hint of what could work and what could not work, and it's completely unappealing to me. We have a 4-page essay due on Wednesday that I haven't touched because he told us (he said reminded us) about it on Friday and expected that we should know what he wants from it - when he didn't explain it to us at all. It's supposed to be over themes or common elements between the movies, something recognizably similar, but that doesn't make it any easier to pinpoint. At best, it's frustrating for someone like me.

My other two professors are great. Drawing is demanding, Color Theory is time consuming. But I'll live.

Joe recommended this book to me when we went to Barnes & Noble two weeks back: The Black Jewels Trilogy. It's amazing - at least to me. And addicting. I suppose that's one the reasons why I don't read so much any more. I get distracted easily, drawn into the emotions and the fantasy world far too easily. I want to read but I have other things I need to do. Today, I think I read 5 hours worth.

I'm doing laundry right now. It's impossible to get a drier sometimes... half of them don't work and people leave their shit in the other half. Bugs the crap out of me. Anyway, when getting coins from the machine, apparently I received a counterfeit quarter. Funny.

That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment